Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Offline VM Migration auto convert RDM to VMDK format

Due to some reconfiguration work we performed on our Virtual Infrastructure, we had required to relocate some of the VM to a different datastore. These VMs which required to be moved had been attached with Raw Device Mapping (RDM). Previously I thought the offline storage migration will not move the RDM over to the datastore as RDM is referring to the raw device from the SAN storage.Actually I was planned to convert the RDM to VMDK which I planned to manual transfer the files I need from RDM to the new virtual disk I created.


In a test yesterday, we found that a offline VM migration will auto convert the RDM which attach to the virtual machine to the VMDK format when I selected the data store to be moved in offline mode. This was really surprise myself and simplify my work actually, as I do not require some manual file transfer from the RDM to the new virtual disk.

No comments:

 
Site Meter